Friday, April 6, 2012

Titanic


It was over 14 years ago. An 8 year old with sensitive nerves who spent many nights on her parents floor, attempting to sleep through her overly-paranoid imagination. It was me. As I sat on the end of my parents' bed alone one Sunday night, I watched the 56th annual Golden Globe Awards. The Nominees for Best Picture: "Amistad", "The Boxer", "Good Will Hunting", "L.A. Confidential", but the winner is "Titanic". I don't actually remember the nominees, all I remember is that Titanic was the biggest movie ever, and that I didn't want to see it. It was too scary. Leonardo Dicaprio's name would forever be emblazoned in my memory from that time forward, known as the hunk that played the hero in "Titanic", never actually knowing his character's name. As I watched, and they played clips from the movie, the made-up replications of horrific true events flashing on the screen. Then it struck: the frosty dead bodies floating in the water. My face went white. I most likely didn't sleep in my own bed that night, every time I closed my eyes seeing the actors in the seemingly frozen water, sprayed with non-toxic foam makeup. It all seemed so real, so life, or dead-like. The next morning I sat eating my breakfast. Frosted Mini-Wheats. As I got to the last few pieces of cereal, I looked down at the frosted rectangles floating slowly in the water. Reminded of the frozen bodies, I abandoned my cereal bowl, never really forgetting the nauseous feeling in my stomach. So as "Titanic" in 3D comes out this weekend, I won't be seeing it. As far as I'm concerned, I've smelled, tasted, heard, felt and seen it in Real-D already.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh, that story never gets old. Ha ha ha!

Unknown said...

Oh my fish that's so sad! ...and strangely adorable.